JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

PM opens $80m Roxborough Hospital

by

Loyse Vincent
1548 days ago
20210106

Loyse Vin­cent

Res­i­dents of Rox­bor­ough and en­vi­rons will soon have ac­cess to a state-of-the-art full-ser­vice hos­pi­tal. The fa­cil­i­ty was com­mis­sioned yes­ter­day and ac­cord­ing to Sec­re­tary for Health Well­ness and Fam­i­ly De­vel­op­ment this $80 mil­lion dol­lar fa­cil­i­ty is the first of its kind in the coun­try. How­ev­er, res­i­dents in the area be­lieve that “good for­tune” on­ly came to To­ba­go East af­ter the res­i­dents vot­ed against the PNM.

Sec­re­tary for Health Well­ness and Fam­i­ly De­vel­op­ment Tra­cy David­son-Ce­les­tine said once op­er­a­tionalised the fa­cil­i­ty will of­fer a num­ber of ser­vices.

“Twen­ty-four-hour Ac­ci­dent and Emer­gency Ser­vices, spe­cial­ists clin­ics in­clud­ing ob­stet­rics gy­nae­col­o­gy gen­er­al surgery, pae­di­atrics and in­ter­nal med­i­cine, men­tal health, re­nal med­i­cine, der­ma­tol­ogy, rheuma­tol­ogy and car­di­ol­o­gy.”

The Health Sec­re­tary went on to say the fa­cil­i­ty would al­so of­fer Hy­per­bar­ic, ICU, Dial­y­sis Lab­o­ra­to­ry and X-Ray ser­vices.

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley who was at the com­mis­sion­ing said the Rox­bor­ough Hos­pi­tal is on­ly one five oth­er mod­ern health­care fa­cil­i­ties built through­out the coun­try as the ad­min­is­tra­tion took a pol­i­cy to make ed­u­ca­tion, na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty and health­care a pri­or­i­ty. He said the coun­try was for­tu­nate to have “health­care in­fra­struc­ture” at the on­set of the pan­dem­ic.

Dr Row­ley said the coun­try was able to cre­ate a “par­al­lel health­care sys­tem” which as­sist­ed in the man­age­ment of COVID-19.

“We did have the phys­i­cal in­fra­struc­ture that al­lowed us to run this par­al­lel sys­tem and Cou­va for those who got ill and need­ed hos­pi­tal­iza­tion af­ter hav­ing test­ed pos­i­tive for COVID-19.”

He said the gov­ern­ment was pre­pared to use oth­er fa­cil­i­ties if the need arose and the gov­ern­ment as­sumed a lot of debt to fund the lock­down, which “pre­vent­ed the col­lapse of the econ­o­my and civ­il un­rest.”

The Prime Min­is­ter did, how­ev­er, chas­tise a group of peo­ple who gath­ered in large num­bers at No Man’s Land in To­ba­go last week­end, who he said was “will­ing to risk it all.”

“I am wait­ing to see the out­come of the fol­ly of No Man’s Land in To­ba­go last week­end when there were peo­ple who be­lieved that the laws and the reg­u­la­tions do not ap­ply to them and COVID means noth­ing to them and they are pre­pared to risk all that we have in­vest­ed all that we have done for a mo­ment of fun and frol­ic.”

Chief Sec­re­tary An­cil Den­nis said that peo­ple could no longer ar­gue that To­ba­go East was un­der­de­vel­oped.

“I want to sug­gest that the rate of de­vel­op­ment that we have seen in To­ba­go East over the last five years is be­yond de­vel­op­ment in any part of the coun­try.”

He said that a PNM in Trinidad and a PNM Ad­min­is­tra­tion in To­ba­go “has af­ford­ed the kind of de­vel­op­ment that has nev­er been seen in the his­to­ry of To­ba­go.”

Just a stone throw away from the fa­cil­i­ty a num­ber of res­i­dents sat at the en­trance of a small shop ob­serv­ing the cer­e­mo­ny. One of the res­i­dents, who gave his name as Mr Tay­lor, said he was not im­pressed.

“Nine­teen years in pow­er is on­ly af­ter we vote for Wat­son PNM know To­ba­go East need up­lift­ment? They have a hos­pi­tal in Sig­nal Hill they cant main­tain they build a next one to turn a white ele­phant!”

With­in re­cent time Rox­bor­ough re­ceived a new Po­lice Sta­tion, a new Fire Sta­tion, an Ad­min­is­tra­tive Com­plex and the Char­lot­teville Mi­ni En­ter­prise Fa­cil­i­ty was al­so re­cent­ly com­plet­ed. Chief Sec­re­tary Den­nis said this would amount to over “a quar­ter bil­lion dol­lars” in­vest­ed in the de­vel­op­ment of the area.

The Belle Gar­den East/Rox­bor­ough/De­laford seat is cur­rent­ly held by Wat­son Duke, while Far­ley C. Au­gus­tine holds the Par­latu­vi­er/L’ Anse Four­mi/Spey­side, the Good­wood/Belle Gar­den seat cur­rent­ly held by the PNM’s Hay­den Spencer was whisked away from the PDP’s Dr Faith B Yis­rael by a slim mar­gin of on­ly three votes.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored