JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at protestors in Dominica 

by

14 days ago
20250319
Dominica police fire tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters outside the Parliament building on Wednesday as legislators debate electoral reform legislation (CMC Photo)

Dominica police fire tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters outside the Parliament building on Wednesday as legislators debate electoral reform legislation (CMC Photo)

Po­lice fired tear gas and rub­ber bul­lets at pro­tes­tors on Wednes­day as Par­lia­ment be­gan de­bat­ing elec­toral re­form leg­is­la­tion. The po­lice had ear­li­er warned that no per­mis­sion had been grant­ed to any­one to stage and protest out­side the Par­lia­ment build­ing on the out­skirts of the cap­i­tal.

The Do­mini­ca gov­ern­ment had late last year tabled the three bills, name­ly the Elec­toral Com­mis­sion Bill 2024, House of As­sem­bly (Elec­tions) Bill 2024, and Reg­is­tra­tion of Elec­tors Bill 2024, and Par­lia­ment was meet­ing Wednes­day to give its ap­proval to the leg­is­la­tion that had been re­viewed by the rel­e­vant in­di­vid­u­als and groups since Sir Den­nis By­ron, the for­mer pres­i­dent of the Caribbean Court of Jus­tice (CCJ), sub­mit­ted his re­port on elec­toral re­form on June 12, 2023.

But the Elec­toral Re­form Coali­tion said it would stage a peace­ful demon­stra­tion to reg­is­ter its dis­ap­proval over the bills that are ex­pect­ed to be passed giv­en the gov­ern­ment’s over­whelm­ing ma­jor­i­ty.

John­ston Boston of the Elec­toral Re­form Coali­tion said he want­ed to as­sure the busi­ness com­mu­ni­ty and Do­mini­cans on a whole that the demon­stra­tions would be con­duct­ed “in a peace­ful man­ner.

“This protest is a di­rect ex­pres­sion of the peo­ple’s deep con­cerns and dis­sat­is­fac­tion with the pro­posed bills on elec­toral re­form,” he said, adding “as a de­mo­c­ra­t­ic so­ci­ety it is our fun­da­men­tal right to voice our de­mands and call for trans­paren­cy in or elec­toral sys­tem”.

Leader of the main op­po­si­tion Unit­ed Work­ers Par­ty (UWP), Dr.  Thom­son Fontaine told re­porters out­side the Par­lia­ment build­ing that the “peo­ple of Do­mini­ca are say­ing that the re­forms as con­tained in the leg­is­la­tion are not good enough.

“We be­lieve that what the prime min­is­ter is at­tempt­ing to do will not im­prove democ­ra­cy, it will make it worse and we are at the point where we have been ex­treme­ly pa­tient, we have wait­ed very long for elec­toral re­form and they are ask­ing is for him to do the right thing.

”Peo­ple are here be­cause they are not hap­py with this gov­ern­ment, they are not hap­py with what they have been do­ing as far as tak­ing away some of the safe­guards we have in our leg­is­la­tion,” he added.

Fontaine said that the op­po­si­tion had “sev­er­al” op­tions should the three pieces of leg­is­la­tion be ap­proved in the Par­lia­ment “which I  can't go in­to now, but let’s be very clear this will not be the end.

“This is the be­gin­ning, this is not the end and so this is some­thing we will have to fight through un­til we get it and what­ev­er hap­pens in Par­lia­ment to­day we will con­tin­ue our strug­gle,” he added.

But Act­ing Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er David­son Valar­ie in­sist­ed that no per­mis­sion had been giv­en for any protest ac­tion out­side the Par­lia­ment.

“The Com­mon­wealth of Do­mini­ca Po­lice Force ad­vis­es that the Elec­toral Re­form Coali­tion, of­fi­cials of the Unit­ed Work­ers Par­ty among oth­er or­gan­is­ers have been plan­ning protest ac­tion on High Street in the vicin­i­ty of the House of As­sem­bly.

“I wish to in­form that no per­mis­sion has been sought from the Chief of Po­lice, nei­ther has there been any per­mis­sion grant­ed by the Chief of Po­lice for any protest ac­tion. There­fore any protest ac­tion in Do­mini­ca on Wednes­day…is un­law­ful.

He said the Pub­lic Or­der Act makes it clear that protest ac­tion could on­ly take place af­ter per­mis­sion has been giv­en, adding “The Com­mon­wealth of Do­mini­ca Po­lice Force is ad­vis­ing the pub­lic from par­tic­i­pat­ing in any un­law­ful or protest ac­tion in Do­mini­ca on Wednes­day”.

He warned that those in­volved in or­gan­is­ing the “il­le­gal protest or march…will be held crim­i­nal­ly li­able for any pub­lic dis­or­der that may arise from this il­le­gal protest ac­tion”.

Ear­li­er this week, Prime Min­is­ter Roo­sevelt Sker­rit said he had re­quest­ed as­sis­tance from the Bar­ba­dos-based Re­gion­al Se­cu­ri­ty  Sys­tem (RSS) to quell any dis­tur­bance on the is­land.

The  RSS was cre­at­ed in 1982 to counter threats to the sta­bil­i­ty of the re­gion in the late 1970s and ear­ly 1980s. The sig­na­to­ries agreed to pre­pare con­tin­gency plans and as­sist one an­oth­er, on re­quest, in na­tion­al emer­gen­cies, pre­ven­tion of smug­gling, search and res­cue, im­mi­gra­tion con­trol, fish­ery pro­tec­tion, cus­toms and ex­cise con­trol, mar­itime polic­ing du­ties, pro­tec­tion of off-shore in­stal­la­tions, pol­lu­tion con­trol, na­tion­al and oth­er dis­as­ters, and threats to na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty.

“This is just po­lit­i­cal mis­chief.  A group of men who are just try­ing to make them­selves rel­e­vant when the peo­ple of Do­mini­ca have in­di­cat­ed that they are not rel­e­vant any­more,”  Sker­rit said then.

ROSEAU, Do­mini­ca, Mar 19, CMC

CMC/2025


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored