JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Quamina: I only advised Smith on dismissal issue

by

Curtis Williams
1981 days ago
20191101
Michael Quamina

Michael Quamina

At­tor­ney Michael Quam­i­na has de­nied ever ad­vis­ing for­mer Min­is­ter of Sport Dar­ryl Smith on any­thing to do with al­le­ga­tions of sex­u­al ha­rass­ment against the Min­is­ter.

In an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia, Quam­i­na said: “I nev­er ad­vised Mr Smith on any­thing to do with sex­u­al ha­rass­ment. In fact I was not hired by the for­mer Min­is­ter and my on­ly in­ter­ac­tion with him was to take in­struc­tions from him in re­la­tion to the dis­missal of Miss More­au.”

Quam­i­na in­sist­ed he was re­tained by the Min­istry of Sport and not Smith to deal with the claim of wrong­ful dis­missal against the Min­istry by More­au.

“The claim was for wrong­ful dis­missal against the Min­istry. How could Mr Smith re­tain me? He was not the sub­ject of the ac­tion. It was the Min­istry who had fired Miss More­au,” Quam­i­na ex­plained.

He rub­bished claims by the com­mit­tee set up to in­ves­ti­gate the cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing the fir­ing of More­au and sub­se­quent pay­ment of $150,000 as a set­tle­ment, that he, Quam­i­na, was in­volved in the is­sue well be­fore it reached the stage of set­tle­ment.

The com­mit­tee had con­clud­ed: “We do not ac­cept that the for­mer Min­is­ter made no men­tion to Mr Quam­i­na when he so­licit­ed Mr Quam­i­na’s as­sis­tance that al­le­ga­tions of sex­u­al ha­rass­ment had been made against him by Miss More­au.”

Quam­i­na said the com­mit­tee’s find­ings of him were “en­tire­ly in­ac­cu­rate and with­out sub­stance” and he was not al­lowed to re­spond to the ad­verse find­ings be­fore they were con­clud­ed as is de­mand­ed by law. The At­tor­ney said his on­ly in­volve­ment was in deal­ing with two mat­ters. The first was whether the dis­missal was wrong in law and if so, what would be a rea­son­able set­tle­ment?

“I have done this for a long time, for en­er­gy sec­tor com­pa­nies, busi­ness sec­tor, Trade Unions and gov­ern­ment min­istries and when I looked at the facts I con­clud­ed that Miss More­au was wrong­ful­ly dis­missed and that a more rea­son­able set­tle­ment than what was be­ing sought by the union should ap­ply. There is a le­gal opin­ion to sup­port what I am say­ing,” Quam­i­na told Guardian Me­dia.

He added that when the Min­istry brought him in, a Trade dis­pute had al­ready been filed, and was at the stage of con­cil­i­a­tion at the Min­istry of Labour.

More­au had al­leged sex­u­al ha­rass­ment as the rea­son for her dis­missal as Smith’s per­son­al as­sis­tant and the mat­ter was even­tu­al­ly set­tled with a non-dis­clo­sure clause at­tached to the set­tle­ment.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored