JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

State concedes firearm dealer Brent Thomas’ arrest unlawful

by

252 days ago
20240725

Se­nior Re­porter

derek.achong@guardian.co.tt

The State has con­ced­ed that po­lice of­fi­cers act­ed il­le­gal­ly in their con­tro­ver­sial ar­rest of firearm deal­er Brent Thomas in Bar­ba­dos and his sub­se­quent re­turn to this coun­try in Oc­to­ber 2022.

The ad­mis­sion was made by lawyers for the Of­fice of the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al as they pre­sent­ed sub­mis­sions in an ap­peal over a de­ci­sion by High Court Judge Devin­dra Ram­per­sad to up­hold Thomas’ law­suit over his forced de­por­ta­tion and po­lice probe in­to him and his com­pa­ny, Spe­cial­ist Shoot­ers Train­ing Cen­tre Lim­it­ed.

Pre­sent­ing sub­mis­sions at the Wa­ter­front Ju­di­cial Cen­tre in Port-of-Spain yes­ter­day morn­ing, King’s Coun­sel Pe­ter Knox claimed that the of­fi­cers’ un­law­ful ac­tions were based on a le­git­i­mate be­lief that Thomas was seek­ing to flee the coun­try while un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

“They (the po­lice) act­ed wrong­ly, but they did not act ma­li­cious­ly,” Knox said. While he ac­cept­ed that Jus­tice Ram­per­sad was en­ti­tled to make the find­ings he did in re­la­tion to Thomas’ ar­rest and ex­tra­di­tion and or­der com­pen­sa­tion, he sug­gest­ed that they (the find­ings) should have been made against the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice (TTPS) and not the State.

Knox claimed that the judge over­stepped in stay­ing the crim­i­nal charges against Thomas and mak­ing ad­verse find­ings in re­la­tion to the probe that led to the charges. Knox claimed that there was ev­i­dence that Thomas was found in pos­ses­sion of three pro­hib­it­ed au­to­mat­ic ri­fles and six non-lethal grenades, which led to him be­ing charged. He claimed that two of the ri­fles were list­ed on Thomas’ firearm user’s li­cence (FUL) but one was not.

“We are not say­ing this is con­clu­sive of any­thing, but there is some­thing to look at,” Knox said.

He sug­gest­ed that Jus­tice Ram­per­sad should have been more cau­tious to avoid tres­pass­ing on the pow­er of the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions (DPP) in re­la­tion to crim­i­nal pros­e­cu­tions.

“It is not for a con­sti­tu­tion­al court to in­ter­fere in mat­ters like this. You do not have the con­sti­tu­tion­al right not to be pros­e­cut­ed,” he said.

Knox al­so took is­sue with Jus­tice Ram­per­sad’s find­ings in re­la­tion to a se­ries of search war­rants used to raid Thomas’ Mar­aval home and his busi­ness. He sug­gest­ed that Thomas’ lawyer should have filed the case against the Jus­tice of the Peace (JP) that grant­ed the war­rants.

DPP: Judge mis­con­strued Firearms Act

In his sub­mis­sions, Se­nior Coun­sel Ian Ben­jamin, who led the le­gal team for the DPP’s Of­fice, claimed that the judge mis­con­strued the Firearms Act when he ques­tioned how Thomas could be charged for pos­ses­sion of the weapons that he was grant­ed per­mis­sion to im­port by the Of­fice of the Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er.

Ben­jamin point­ed out that un­der the leg­is­la­tion, the Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er did not have the pow­er to grant per­mis­sion to cit­i­zens for the im­por­ta­tion and pos­ses­sion of pro­hib­it­ed weapons, which can on­ly be law­ful­ly held by po­lice of­fi­cers, mem­bers of the T&T De­fence Force (TTDF), cer­tain staff at the Foren­sic Sci­ence Cen­tre, and prison and cus­toms of­fi­cers.

He sug­gest­ed that Thomas had been wrong­ful­ly grant­ed per­mis­sion by suc­ces­sive com­mis­sion­ers in the past. “He (the judge) did not con­strue the pro­vi­sions at all ... There was no foun­da­tion or rea­son­ing,” Ben­jamin said. Ben­jamin stat­ed that there was a strong pub­lic in­ter­est in al­low­ing the charges against Thomas to pro­ceed.

“I do not have to say any­thing about the hav­oc caused by guns and am­mu­ni­tion in T&T,” he said.

Ho­sein: My client should not have been pros­e­cut­ed

In his sub­mis­sions, Thomas’ lawyer, Fyard Ho­sein, called on the ap­peal pan­el to up­hold their col­league’s judg­ment. Ho­sein ad­mit­ted that the com­mis­sion­er did not have the pow­er to al­low the im­por­ta­tion and pos­ses­sion of pro­hib­it­ed weapons, as he point­ed out that his client re­fused to re­ceive the ri­fles and grenades af­ter Jus­tice Ram­per­sad or­dered their re­lease, last year.

He sug­gest­ed that his client should not have been pros­e­cut­ed for the le­gal loop­hole that was used by five po­lice com­mis­sion­ers to get him to sup­ply weapons and am­mu­ni­tion to lo­cal law en­force­ment agen­cies for al­most two decades. Ho­sein not­ed that the ri­fles and grenades, which he claimed were all list­ed on the FUL’s held by Thomas and his busi­ness, were kept for demon­stra­tion pur­pos­es.

He al­so sug­gest­ed that in­stead of pros­e­cut­ing him, the in­ves­ti­ga­tors could have re­quest­ed that the Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er re­voke the im­port li­cence and FUL records for the weapons and seize them.

Deal­ing with Thomas’ de­ten­tion in Bar­ba­dos, Ho­sein claimed that the find­ings had to be made against the State as the AG’s of­fice failed to dis­close whether any gov­ern­ment of­fi­cial as­sist­ed or fa­cil­i­tat­ed his forced re­turn to T&T.

“We do not know who is tru­ly re­spon­si­ble for this ghast­ly deed,” he said. He not­ed that po­lice of­fi­cers were aware that Thomas had trav­elled to Bar­ba­dos in tran­sit to the Unit­ed States to seek med­ical at­ten­tion when they took the ac­tion. Re­fer­ring to sev­er­al in­ter­na­tion­al cas­es in which pros­e­cu­tions for se­ri­ous of­fences, in­clud­ing ter­ror­ism, were stayed due to sim­i­lar il­le­gal ex­tra­di­tions, Ho­sein sug­gest­ed that the judge was right to halt the case against Thomas.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, in Au­gust 2022, TTPS of­fi­cers ex­e­cut­ed a se­ries of search war­rants on Thomas. He was ini­tial­ly de­tained by lo­cal po­lice of­fi­cers on Sep­tem­ber 29 but was re­leased sev­er­al days lat­er af­ter High Court Judge Ava­son Quin­lan-Williams up­held a law­suit over the in­abil­i­ty of the TTPS to jus­ti­fy his con­tin­ued de­ten­tion

The fol­low­ing day, Thomas trav­elled to Bar­ba­dos to vis­it his spe­cial­ist doc­tor. On Oc­to­ber 5, he was ar­rest­ed by heav­i­ly armed Bar­ba­dos po­lice at his ho­tel room. Thomas was briefly de­tained be­fore be­ing trans­port­ed to the Grant­ley Adams In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port, where he was hand­ed over to ASP Birch and an­oth­er of­fi­cer, who had pre­vi­ous­ly ex­e­cut­ed some of the search war­rants on his busi­ness and home.

Thomas was re­turned to Trinidad on a light air­craft sub­se­quent­ly linked to the Re­gion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Ser­vices (RSS) and was charged with sev­en firearm of­fences re­lat­ed to the ri­fles and grenades un­der cor­re­spond­ing ar­rest war­rants.

The Bar­ba­dos Gov­ern­ment has al­so ac­cept­ed li­a­bil­i­ty for the role of its of­fi­cials in­volved in Thomas’ ar­rest. In late April last year, Jus­tice Ram­per­sad up­held Thomas’ case. He or­dered com­pen­sa­tion for the breach­es of his con­sti­tu­tion­al rights and for his il­le­gal ar­rest and de­ten­tion.

A date for the as­sess­ment of the com­pen­sa­tion is yet to be set, with such like­ly to take place on­ly if Jus­tice Ram­per­sad’s judg­ment is up­held on ap­peal.

Ap­pel­late judges Prakash Moo­sai, Char­maine Pem­ber­ton, and Mi­ra Dean Ar­mor­er re­served their de­ci­sion on the ap­peal af­ter yes­ter­day’s hear­ing. Thomas was al­so rep­re­sent­ed by Anil Maraj and Aadam Ho­sein. Gilbert Pe­ter­son, SC, and Vanes­sa Gopaul ap­peared along­side Knox for the State. 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored