Tobago police investigators believe revenge may have been the motive behind the murder of 32-year-old Vernado George, who was gunned down at Courland Heritage Park, Turtle Beach, Black Rock, on Tuesday afternoon.
George, also known as Monster, was having lunch with three co-workers when two masked men dressed in blue jumpers approached him and opened fire. He was shot multiple times while sitting in the back of a van. The suspects then ran into nearby bushes.
Police told Guardian Media they are now exploring whether the killing was an act of retaliation, though they have not disclosed further details.
George, of Pembroke, was employed with Gencon Ltd, a company contracted by T&TEC for tree-cutting services.
George was Tobago’s third murder victim for 2025.
Meanwhile, Tobago Business Chamber Chairman Martin George fears the island might be picking up where it left off in 2024 when it comes to crime.
“It appears we are picking up from last year where we had the record high of more than 25 murders in a year in Tobago. And. It appears that all the promises and assurances given to us by the authorities, it doesn’t seem as if there are any tangible gains we have made in the fight against crime."
He lamented that crime, on all levels, is a major deterrent to business and tourism on the island.
"If you cannot guarantee safety, security, serenity, and peace in Tobago, you may as well forget about trying to have a tourist industry," he said. "This should be the number one priority."
Drawing comparisons to other tourist destinations, George noted that countries with high crime rates, such as Mexico and Jamaica, have taken steps to protect their tourism sectors.
He said, "These are violent countries, but they ensure that their tourist zones remain safe. In Jamaica, Montego Bay is a secure space. If Tobago, at just 116 square miles, cannot be made safe, then you have to ask, what is happening in Trinidad and Tobago?"