JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

El Salvador calls up US-born player

by

20090804

?Rus­sell Lat­apy will lead a squad of home-based play­ers on­to the train­ing pitch at the Hase­ly Craw­ford Sta­di­um in Mu­cu­rapo this af­ter­noon as the fi­nal stretch of prepa­ra­tions com­mence for next Wednes­day's 2010 World Cup Qual­i­fi­er against El Sal­vador. Lat­apy re­vealed yes­ter­day that he will not an­nounce his fi­nal squad un­til lat­er in the week in­clud­ing his quo­ta of over­seas-based play­ers for the all im­por­tant clash with the Cen­tral Amer­i­cans.

"I don't think it's ab­solute­ly nec­es­sary for us to re­veal too much at this time. But I have a fair idea of what the squad will be but every play­er will have the op­por­tu­ni­ty to vie for se­lec­tion," Lat­apy said. "It's a cru­cial match for us and with it be­ing a mid-week game it means that we don't have much time to­geth­er with the fi­nal squad. In say­ing that, it means al­so that this will be a very cru­cial week for us ahead of the match it­self." To­day, Lat­apy will take a look at his lo­cal-based in­vi­tees in a train­ing ex­er­cise against the Na­tion­al Un­der-20 team from 5 pm.

Mean­time, San Jose Earth­quakes mid­field­er Ar­turo Al­varez stat­ed that he is "95 to 96 per cent sure" he will be called up by the El Sal­vador na­tion­al team for a World Cup qual­i­fi­er against T&T on Au­gust 12 mak­ing the Hous­ton na­tive's re-de­c­la­ra­tion of na­tion­al team al­le­giance of­fi­cial. The El Sal­vador man­age­ment has al­so in­di­cat­ed a strong pos­si­bil­i­ty of Al­varez com­ing to Port-of-Spain with the team. The 24-year-old Al­varez drift­ed out of the US na­tion­al team pic­ture since he last played for the Un­der-23 team in 2007. Since be­ing shut out, he de­ter­mined the best chance he would have to con­tin­ue his in­ter­na­tion­al ca­reer was to seek el­i­gi­bil­i­ty to play for El Sal­vador, his par­ents' birth coun­try.

Fi­fa's new el­i­gi­bil­i­ty rules, passed in June, re­laxed the re­stric­tions on such changes. Be­cause Al­varez nev­er played in an of­fi­cial match for the se­nior US na­tion­al team, he be­came el­i­gi­ble to make the switch. El Sal­vador has been shut out twice in the Hexag­o­nal and cer­tain­ly could make use of Al­varez, who has scored 21 goals and logged 17 as­sists over a sev­en-year ca­reer in Ma­jor League Soc­cer (MLS). Sal­vado­ran na­tion­al team cap­tain Ram�n S�nchez, Al­varez's team­mate on the Earth­quakes, said last week that Al­varez would be able to help the team im­me­di­ate­ly and should see play­ing time in his first game.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored