JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

2nd probe into suspects' deaths starts tomorrow

by

Guardian Media
1511 days ago
20210214
  Main suspect in the murder of Andrea Bharatt  Joel Balcon

Main suspect in the murder of Andrea Bharatt Joel Balcon

An in­ter­nal po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion has been or­dered in­to the deaths of crim­i­nals Joel Bal­con and An­drew Mor­ris, two of the prime sus­pects in the mur­der of 23-year-old An­drea Bharatt who was kid­napped on Feb­ru­ary 29 and her body found six days lat­er dumped off a precipice in the Heights of Aripo.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands from se­nior po­lice sources that two Act­ing Su­per­in­ten­dents of Po­lice have been man­dat­ed to in­ves­ti­gate the men's deaths fol­low­ing the find­ings of their au­top­sies last week. This is the sec­ond in­ves­ti­ga­tion which has been launched in­to the men's death; the Po­lice Com­plaints Au­thor­it (PCA) ini­ti­at­ed an in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the deaths last week.

ACP for the North­ern Di­vi­sion Andy Bel­fon would have man­dat­ed the sec­ond in­ves­ti­ga­tion, Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands. "It's stan­dard pro­ce­dure when some­one dies in po­lice cus­tody for an in­ves­ti­ga­tion to be done," a se­nior homi­cide source said. Be­cause the men died in that di­vi­sion, the ACP of that par­tic­u­lar di­vi­sion can or­der the in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

The probe in­to their deaths is ex­pect­ed to start to­mor­row, ac­cord­ing to well-placed sources.

The source said that the find­ings of this in­ves­ti­ga­tion which is ex­pect­ed to take close to three weeks will like­ly be sent to the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions. "I ex­pect the Pro­fes­sion­al Stan­dards Bu­reau (PSB) may have some over­sight while the Po­lice Com­plaints Au­thor­i­ty (PCA) do their in­de­pen­dent in­ves­ti­ga­tion," a homi­cide source said.

Mor­ris, who was known to the po­lice and was al­so a known drug sell­er in Tumpuna, Ari­ma, where he lived, was de­tained by of­fi­cers of the Spe­cial Op­er­a­tions Re­sponse Team (SORT) on Jan­u­ary 31, and his fam­i­ly al­leged he was beat­en in their pres­ence be­fore be­ing tak­en away. The fol­low­ing day Mor­ris died at the Ari­ma Hos­pi­tal.

Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Gary Grif­fith said that Mor­ris was sick­ly and had col­lapsed and died af­ter falling off a chair.

Two post mortems were done on Mor­ris' body—one by the State and the oth­er pri­vate­ly by rel­a­tives­—re­vealed he died from blunt force trau­ma.

Ac­cord­ing to the first au­top­sy done at the Foren­sic Sci­ence Cen­tre Mor­ris suf­fered brain frac­tures, sev­er­al bro­ken ribs, bleed­ing from in­ter­nal or­gans, burnt marks to the back (al­leged­ly from a taser), con­tu­sion to the right eye, bleed­ing to the brain as well as dam­age to his shoul­ders and legs.

Bal­con, who po­lice la­belled as the mas­ter­mind in the kid­nap­ping and mur­der of Bharatt, was known to the po­lice as a sex­u­al, drug, firearms, rob­bery and lar­ce­ny of­fend­er. He was in an un­con­scious state un­til he died on Mon­day, eight days af­ter he was de­tained by po­lice.

Bal­con had been picked up mere hours af­ter Mor­ris and was lat­er hos­pi­talised at the Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ences Com­plex af­ter suf­fer­ing mas­sive head in­juries. He was al­so paral­ysed.

A post mortem on Bal­con’s body at the Foren­sic Sci­ence Cen­tre in St James by pathol­o­gist Dr East­lyn Mc­Don­ald-Bur­ris re­vealed that Bal­con died due to mul­ti­ple trau­ma to the body.

The in­juries he sus­tained could have been due to a beat­ing he al­leged­ly sus­tained while try­ing to es­cape po­lice cus­tody.

Sev­er­al se­nior po­lice sources con­firmed to Guardian Me­dia that Bal­con spent close to 13 hours in the cus­tody of SORT.

Sources said Bal­con was tak­en back and forth from the Cu­mu­to base where SORT is sta­tioned af­ter he led po­lice to sev­er­al lo­ca­tions in east Trinidad as they ques­tioned him about Bharatt's dis­ap­pear­ance. None of the search­es led them to Bharatt.

"At no time did any homi­cide per­son­nel or any­one else see Bal­con. The last thing we heard was that he was tak­en di­rect­ly to the hos­pi­tal," re­vealed a source fa­mil­iar with the case.

Sources said Mor­ris was al­so in the cus­tody of SORT for close to 13 hours where of­fi­cers at­tempt­ed to find out where Bharatt was be­ing kept. Sources said apart from a half-hour stay at the Mal­abar Po­lice Sta­tion, Mor­ris was al­so tak­en to SORT head­quar­ters and then to var­i­ous lo­ca­tions.

Guardian Me­dia was told that sev­er­al en­tries made in the di­ary at SORT head­quar­ters have been seized. The con­tents of those en­tries may now be in the hands of the PCA. "Some of the en­tries in that di­ary are flim­sy, but it does show that the men were brought in there and they had al­leged­ly made cer­tain ut­ter­ances," a se­nior source said.

Police


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored