JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Patriotic's bid for Petrotrin refinery rejected again

by

Joel Julien
1537 days ago
20210119

cur­tis.williams@guardian.co.tt

One and a half months af­ter a Cab­i­net-ap­point­ed com­mit­tee was asked to re­view the pro­pos­al from the Oil­fields Work­ers’ Trade Union’s Pa­tri­ot­ic En­er­gies Com­pa­ny Lim­it­ed for the ac­qui­si­tion of Petrotrin’s Point-a-Pierre re­fin­ery, Gov­ern­ment will to­day an­nounce its back to the draw­ing board af­ter re­ject­ing the of­fer.

Well placed sources have told Guardian Me­dia that the com­mit­tee was of the view the pro­pos­al did not meet the min­i­mum re­quire­ments and it was in the coun­try’s best in­ter­est to go out and seek to en­gage an­oth­er com­pa­ny to take con­trol of the 100-year-old re­fin­ery.

The de­ci­sion is like­ly to be a ma­jor set­back for the OW­TU, which lost a sig­nif­i­cant part of its union mem­ber­ship and pow­er when the re­fin­ery was shut down in 2018 and has spent mil­lions in con­sul­tan­cy fees as it tried to gain own­er­ship of the re­fin­ery.

In the end, it ap­pears the Gov­ern­ment could not agree terms with the union and the re­fin­ery will con­tin­ue to re­main shut.

Yes­ter­day, a me­dia re­lease an­nounced that Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert and En­er­gy Min­is­ter Franklin Khan will be host­ing a joint vir­tu­al me­dia con­fer­ence at 11 am to­day to ad­dress the Cab­i­net’s de­ci­sion on the ‘Pro­cure­ment Process’ for the re­fin­ery.

Be­fore last year’s Gen­er­al Elec­tions, the is­sue of the re­fin­ery was a ma­jor top­ic on the plat­form with the Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress an­nounc­ing its in­ten­tion to restart the re­fin­ery it­self, ef­fec­tive­ly tak­ing it away from Pa­tri­ot­ic En­er­gies get­ting it. At that time, Pa­tri­ot­ic was the pre­ferred bid­der and in talks with the Gov­ern­ment.

This prompt­ed the OW­TU to at­tack the Op­po­si­tion and to call on Gov­ern­ment to con­clude the ne­go­ti­a­tions be­fore the elec­tions. This did not hap­pen and Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley in­sist­ed the Gov­ern­ment would not be pres­sured in­to a bad deal on the al­ter of po­lit­i­cal ex­pe­di­en­cy.

On Oc­to­ber 29 last year, Pa­tri­ot­ic sub­mit­ted a pro­pos­al for the pur­chase of the Petrotrin re­fin­ery. How­ev­er, two days lat­er on Oc­to­ber 31, Khan an­nounced Gov­ern­ment had re­ject­ed Pa­tri­ot­ic’s pro­pos­al. Not­ing that both par­ties were bound to non-dis­clo­sure agree­ments in these dis­cus­sions, he said the key is­sues at the end of pro­longed dis­cus­sions were the pur­chase price fi­nanc­ing, the restart fi­nanc­ing and first pri­or­i­ty lien on the as­sets.

“Af­ter much to-ing and fro-ing, ex­change of let­ters and a se­ries of meet­ings in­volved with the ne­go­ti­at­ing team, the Ho­n­ourable Prime Min­is­ter and the Ho­n­ourable Min­is­ter of Fi­nance gave the par­ties an Oc­to­ber 31 dead­line to reach an agree­ment on the sale of the cap­tioned as­set,” Khan said then, adding the pro­pos­al did not ad­dress key out­stand­ing is­sues and there­fore did not meet the nec­es­sary cri­te­ria.

Row­ley then in­struct­ed the eval­u­a­tion com­mit­tee to take a sec­ond look at the pro­pos­al and make fur­ther com­ments and rec­om­men­da­tions.That re­port was sub­mit­ted to Cab­i­net on No­vem­ber 30.

The re­fin­ery re­mains closed and there have been ques­tions about the cost of the restart and whether Pa­tri­ot­ic had the re­sources to make it work, both in terms of fi­nan­cial and man­age­ment. There are es­ti­mates that to safe­ly restart the re­fin­ery could cost in ex­cess of 500 mil­lion and more like­ly close to a bil­lion dol­lars.

Pa­tri­ot­ic is whol­ly-owned by the OW­TU.

In Oc­to­ber 2018, Gov­ern­ment de­cid­ed to re­struc­ture Petrotrin.

The com­pa­ny was bro­ken in­to sub­sidiaries, in­clud­ing Her­itage, Paria Fu­el Trad­ing, Guaracara Re­fin­ing and Petrotrin.

On May 21, 2019, Guaracara and Paria as­sets went to five short-list­ed bid­ders, in­clud­ing Pa­tri­ot­ic En­er­gies.

The fol­low­ing month, the Cab­i­net ap­point­ed an eval­u­a­tion team head­ed by Vish­nu Dhan­paul, the per­ma­nent sec­re­tary in the Min­istry of Fi­nance.

On Sep­tem­ber 20, 2019, Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert an­nounced in Par­lia­ment that Pa­tri­ot­ic was the pre­ferred bid­der and had of­fered an up­front pay­ment of US$700 mil­lion for the re­fin­ery, plus US$300 mil­lion got its non-core as­sets. -With re­port­ing by Joel Julien


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored