JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

PM hits Opposition for seeking to reopen Integrity probe

by

605 days ago
20230808

Se­nior Re­porter

derek.achong@guardian.co.tt

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley has crit­i­cised the Op­po­si­tion for chal­leng­ing the de­ci­sion of the In­tegri­ty Com­mis­sion to close its in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to him over dis­clo­sure of the pur­chase of a town­house in To­ba­go. 

In a post on his Face­book page, yes­ter­day af­ter­noon, Row­ley took aim at a le­gal threat made by so­cial and po­lit­i­cal ac­tivist Ravi Bal­go­b­in Ma­haraj to­ward the Com­mis­sion, last week.  

Row­ley, who did not re­fer to Ma­haraj di­rect­ly, said: “Imag­ine the UNC is the undis­put­ed cham­pi­ons of cor­rup­tion but they are tak­ing is­sue with the In­tegri­ty Com­mis­sion which in­ves­ti­gat­ed and could find no ev­i­dence of cor­rup­tion.

“In oth­er words, they are an­gry be­cause the In­tegri­ty Com­mis­sion was un­able to con­firm their lies,” he added, as he ref­er­enced sev­er­al me­dia re­ports over his de­c­la­ra­tion to the com­mis­sion over the town­house pur­chase.  

Ma­haraj’s lawyers made the threat in the pre-ac­tion pro­to­col let­ter sent to the com­mis­sion’s reg­is­trar, last Thurs­day. 

Ma­haraj’s pro­posed le­gal ac­tion is re­lat­ed to a com­plaint made by Barataria/San Juan MP Sad­dam Ho­sein to the com­mis­sion in De­cem­ber 2021 over Row­ley and his wife pur­chas­ing the town­house at In­ez Gate, a res­i­den­tial de­vel­op­ment lo­cat­ed at Shir­van Road in To­ba­go. 

Al­though Ho­sein claimed that the town­house was val­ued at $1,689,000, Row­ley and his wife pur­chased it for $1.2 mil­lion. 

Ho­sein ques­tioned why Row­ley did not in­clude the prop­er­ty in his Reg­is­ter of In­ter­est Form for 2019, which was sub­mit­ted in De­cem­ber 2020. 

Un­der the In­tegri­ty in Pub­lic Life Act (IPLA), pub­lic of­fi­cials are re­quired to sub­mit the form as well as an of­fi­cial De­c­la­ra­tion of In­ter­ests, As­sets, and Li­a­bil­i­ties Form. Mem­bers of the pub­lic can in­spect the in­ter­est reg­is­tra­tion form but the de­c­la­ra­tion form is con­fi­den­tial. 

Ho­sein claimed that Row­ley made a false en­try in his de­c­la­ra­tion form as he list­ed the price that was paid for the prop­er­ty and not its ac­tu­al val­ue. 

Ho­sein al­so point­ed out that un­der Sec­tion 27 of the leg­is­la­tion, Row­ley was re­quired to de­clare the al­leged dis­count on the prop­er­ty as a per­son­al gift but failed to do so. 

In its of­fi­cial re­sponse to Ho­sein, which was sent on June 29 and was at­tached to Ma­haraj’s le­gal cor­re­spon­dence, the com­mis­sion sought to ad­dress the spe­cif­ic com­plaints made against Row­ley and ex­plained its de­ci­sion to not con­tin­ue the in­ves­ti­ga­tion based on in­suf­fi­cient grounds. 

Deal­ing with Row­ley’s in­ter­est reg­is­tra­tion form, the com­mis­sion ad­mit­ted that Row­ley omit­ted to in­clude the town­house pur­chase. How­ev­er, it not­ed that such an omis­sion did not con­sti­tute a crim­i­nal of­fence un­der the IPLA. 

Ad­dress­ing the val­ue of the town­house in the de­c­la­ra­tion form, the com­mis­sion said that Row­ley had to “know­ing­ly” make a false de­c­la­ra­tion to con­sti­tute an of­fence. 

“How­ev­er, based on the ev­i­dence ob­tained, the Com­mis­sion is of the view that Dr Row­ley did not know­ing­ly pro­vide false in­for­ma­tion in his de­c­la­ra­tion,” it said. 

In terms of the dis­count on the town­house, the com­mis­sion stat­ed that the ev­i­dence it ob­tained did not re­veal that the dis­count was con­nect­ed di­rect­ly or in­di­rect­ly to the per­for­mance of his of­fi­cial du­ties. 

“Fur­ther, the ev­i­dence re­trieved al­so did not show that the said dis­count was re­ceived as an in­ci­dent of the pro­to­col and so­cial oblig­a­tions that nor­mal­ly ac­com­pa­ny the re­spon­si­bil­i­ties of his of­fice,” it said. 

“Re­sul­tant­ly, the com­mis­sion opines that he was not ob­lig­at­ed to file a state­ment with his de­c­la­ra­tion con­tain­ing par­tic­u­lars as it re­lat­ed to the said dis­count in the cir­cum­stances,” it added. 

In­ves­ti­ga­tion

wor­ries ac­tivist

In his le­gal cor­re­spon­dence, Ma­haraj’s lawyer Vishaal Siewsaran, of Free­dom Law Cham­bers, claimed that his client, who has been fol­low­ing the mat­ter since it was first raised, is con­cerned with the out­come of the com­mis­sion’s in­ves­ti­ga­tion. 

“There is a strong pri­ma fa­cie case of po­lit­i­cal cor­rup­tion when one con­sid­ers the fact that high-pro­file Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) sup­port­ers pur­chased town­hous­es in the same de­vel­op­ment at sig­nif­i­cant­ly high­er prices there­by giv­ing rise to the in­fer­ence of an in­di­rect sub­sidy to low­er the pur­chase price for Dr Row­ley,” Siewsaran said. 

Deal­ing with the com­mis­sion’s de­ci­sion on the in­ter­est reg­is­tra­tion form, Siewsaran sug­gest­ed that it was dif­fi­cult to un­der­stand why it did not con­sid­er Sec­tion 21 of the IPLA which makes it an of­fence to fail to fur­nish the com­mis­sion with fur­ther par­tic­u­lars. 

“The up­shot of the com­mis­sion’s po­si­tion in this mat­ter is that the Ho­n­ourable Prime Min­is­ter can breach his oblig­a­tion to make full and frank dis­clo­sure in his state­ment, and there is no crim­i­nal penal­ty or sanc­tion for this il­le­gal ac­tion,” he said. 

“Why should any pub­lic of­fi­cial both­er to make full and frank dis­clo­sure if there is no con­se­quen­tial crim­i­nal penal­ty or sanc­tion?” he asked. 

He sug­gest­ed that it was “abun­dant­ly clear” that the com­mis­sion mis­in­ter­pret­ed the leg­is­la­tion. 

“It is a shock­ing ab­di­ca­tion of the Com­mis­sion’s statu­to­ry du­ty to act with­out fear or favour and in the pub­lic in­ter­est,” he said. 

“It al­so il­lus­trates the cri­sis of in­com­pe­tence that has en­gulfed the com­mis­sion which has been com­pound­ed by the ob­vi­ous po­lit­i­cal bias in this mat­ter,” he added. 

Stat­ing that the com­mis­sion’s han­dling of the com­plaints was ir­ra­tional and un­rea­son­able, Siewsaran said: “It is in de­fi­ance of log­ic, law, and com­mon sense.” 

He al­so point­ed out that the Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC) in­clud­ing for­mer prime min­is­ter Bas­deo Pan­day and gov­ern­ment min­is­ter Fin­bar Gan­gar were pros­e­cut­ed by the com­mis­sion for sim­i­lar con­duct. 

“The gen­er­al ac­tions and/or con­duct of the State has cre­at­ed a fer­tile ground for the pub­lic per­cep­tion that there is an en­trenched po­lit­i­cal bias against the UNC by in­sti­tu­tions of the State that are sup­posed to be in­de­pen­dent,” he said. 

In the let­ter, Siewsaran called on the com­mis­sion to dis­close de­tails about the in­ves­ti­ga­tor and the rec­om­men­da­tions made by them at the con­clu­sion of the probe. 

The com­mis­sion was giv­en un­til next Thurs­day to re­scind its de­ci­sion and re­open its in­ves­ti­ga­tion, oth­er­wise, Ma­haraj would file his ju­di­cial re­view law­suit against it. 

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands that the com­mis­sion re­spond­ed last Fri­day stat­ing that the let­ter was re­ceiv­ing its at­ten­tion and a re­sponse would be is­sued in due course. 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored