JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

State gets custody of children from Syria

by

Gail Alexander
2261 days ago
20190124
The battlefield in Syria where the US has been fighting ISIS insurgents.

The battlefield in Syria where the US has been fighting ISIS insurgents.

From Syr­ia straight to the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty Cen­tre.

That’s was what await­ed two chil­dren—re­turn­ing from Syr­ia— af­ter the High Court, yes­ter­day grant­ed the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty an or­der to have the boys made wards of the court.

The Au­thor­i­ty will be as­sess­ing their health, de­vel­op­ment and the way in which they would be treat­ed.

The court al­so or­dered that the boys will be close­ly mon­i­tored by the Au­thor­i­ty for an ini­tial pe­ri­od of six months “to de­ter­mine the ad­di­tion­al needs” the chil­dren will re­quire “sub­se­quent to their place­ment with their moth­er.”

Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Stu­art Young told re­porters yes­ter­day that Gov­ern­ment was mov­ing to get the court or­der to have the chil­dren as­sessed on their re­turn from abroad.

The boys age 11 and sev­en were tak­en to Syr­ia by their fa­ther, an Isis sol­dier who has re­port­ed­ly been killed. The In­ter­na­tion­al Red Cross had told Gov­ern­ment that the boys who were at the Roj de­ten­tion camp in Syr­ia were T&T na­tion­als. Their moth­er went to Syr­ia (with UK as­sis­tance) and re­unit­ed with the boys ear­li­er this week.

Young said Gov­ern­ment au­thor­i­ties and se­cu­ri­ty agen­cies would be on hand to meet them on ar­rival. The gov­ern­ment had planned to ask the chil­dren’s moth­er for con­sent to have the boys as­sessed, he added.

Young not­ed that the Is­lam­ic State (Isis) sub­ject­ed young­sters to “train­ing” to be­come fight­ers and as­sess­ment would in­clude if any sort of train­ing oc­curred.

Af­ter Young spoke, the High Court is­sued a state­ment that it had grant­ed the as­sess­ment or­der.

The as­sess­ment will be done at the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty as­sess­ment cen­tre. It en­tails a med­ical, so­cial, psy­cho­log­i­cal, psy­cho-so­cial, psy­cho-ed­u­ca­tion­al and psy­chi­atric ex­am­i­na­tion of the boys, their par­ents and grand­par­ents.

The or­der al­lows the Chil­dren's Au­thor­i­ty to file and serve sup­ple­men­tal af­fi­davits “as may be nec­es­sary hav­ing re­gard to the find­ings of any con­tin­u­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion and any re­sults from “the or­der.” The court al­so or­dered the me­dia not to pub­lish the iden­ti­ties or pho­tographs of the boys.

Young said Gov­ern­ment has been work­ing through agen­cies like the Red Cross to ob­tain in­for­ma­tion on T&T na­tion­als in sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tions since 130 na­tion­als had left T&T be­tween 2012-14 for Syr­ia.

He could not say how many were killed and how many T&T chil­dren are in the Mid­dle East.

But he said, for in­stance, there has been in­for­ma­tion on a fam­i­ly, moth­er and daugh­ters, de­tained in Iraq and there was no word on whether the fa­ther of the fam­i­ly had been ex­e­cut­ed.

Fam­i­ly pa­tri­arch Imam Naz­im Mo­hammed has ap­pealed for Gov­ern­ment help to get them home since he has about sev­en young great-grands among them.

Young said all war zone re­turnees are mon­i­tored by se­cu­ri­ty agen­cies.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored