JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Relatives grateful for ‘justice’ as 8 cops in court for murders of 3 Morvant men

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
989 days ago
20220719

Hours af­ter eight po­lice of­fi­cers ap­peared in court yes­ter­day, charged with killing three Mor­vant men back in 2020, mem­bers of the com­mu­ni­ty qui­et­ly gave thanks as they said jus­tice was be­gin­ning to be served.

Joel Ja­cobs, Noel Di­a­mond and Is­rael Moses Clin­ton were al­leged­ly killed by po­lice at Sec­ond Cale­do­nia on June 27.

A fe­male res­i­dent yes­ter­day said, “The com­mu­ni­ty would be feel­ing much bet­ter that some sort of jus­tice has been hap­pen­ing.”

Com­mend­ing the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice (TTPS), she con­tin­ued, “We are see­ing progress in the po­lice ser­vice and I hope with this in­ci­dent here…that we could see more of this hap­pen­ing and it not just go­ing un­der the car­pet.”

She said it was time that rel­a­tives of oth­er peo­ple al­leged­ly killed by po­lice of­fi­cers could feel the same sense of sat­is­fac­tion as those of the three Mor­vant men.

Re­quest­ing anonymi­ty, she said, “We thank the TTPS for do­ing this part of the job.

“I hope oth­ers can feel the same and safe to come out and speak and give them some sort of in­for­ma­tion they would like to know.”

Emerg­ing from her house with a stick in her hand to ward off the stray dogs fre­quent­ing the track lead­ing to her mod­est dwelling, which is ob­scured by tall grass and bush­es, the moth­er of Noel Di­a­mond, Priscil­la Brooks, de­clared, “I felt re­lief be­cause that (in­ci­dent) have an im­pact on me.”

Brooks re­vealed that even read­ing the pa­per and lis­ten­ing to me­dia re­ports dai­ly con­tin­ued to trig­ger pan­ic at­tacks, adding she is nev­er far from a ner­vous break­down.

She de­scribed the last two years with­out her son in one word, “Tor­ture!”

“He used to do every­thing for me you know, every­thing. And when I say tor­ture, es­pe­cial­ly every time rain falling … he go come and say ‘Mum’…he would go out the road and get my pa­pers, get every­thing.

“Them don’t know what they do by tak­ing away my son from me you know.”

She said Di­a­mond had been in an ac­ci­dent when he was younger and had been ren­dered per­ma­nent­ly dis­abled.

Brooks de­fend­ed her de­ceased child as she re­it­er­at­ed, “My son wasn’t no gang­ster.”

Brooks said she is sure jus­tice will be served in this in­stance.

Echo­ing the con­fi­dence of his neigh­bours that jus­tice was be­ing served, Ster­ling Ja­cobs, the fa­ther of Joel Ja­cobs, said, “I be­lieved this would have tak­en place.”

As he praised in­ves­ti­ga­tor Supt Ab­bott for do­ing “a mag­nif­i­cent job,” Ja­cobs said it had re­stored his faith in the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice.

Speak­ing with Guardian Me­dia in the carpark of the St Clair Med­ical Hos­pi­tal, where his wife Car­ol had been tak­en for treat­ment af­ter falling ill with chest pains at work, Ja­cobs said he had been elat­ed with the news of the charges.

De­spite this, he said, “This can­not re­al­ly bring back our son’s life.”

Hop­ing his wife re­cov­ers soon, he agreed the lat­est de­vel­op­ment could have tak­en a toll on her health.

How­ev­er, for Ja­cobs, it is not about vengeance.

“Is not that we want re­venge. What we want is jus­tice so that these things do not con­tin­ue in our beau­ti­ful land of Trinidad and To­ba­go, be­cause it has been go­ing quite a while and be­cause of what tran­spired with the cam­eras, we are say­ing that we are get­ting jus­tice,” Ja­cobs stat­ed.

He said the past two years have been dif­fi­cult for them as par­ents.

“Our on­ly son is not here any­more and his life was snuffed out. It was not easy.”

He said his wife had to seek med­ical at­ten­tion sev­er­al times in the past two years as a re­sult.

Ja­cobs too com­mend­ed the TTPS for do­ing due dili­gence in the mat­ter.

Of­fi­cers re­mand­ed to Gold­en Grove

The eight po­lice of­fi­cers charged with killing Joel Ja­cobs, Noel Di­a­mond and Is­rael Moses Clin­ton in Mor­vant on June 27, 2020 - yes­ter­day ap­peared in court and were re­mand­ed to the Max­i­mum Se­cu­ri­ty Prison, Gold­en Grove.

Sher­win Bap­tiste, Joseph Solomon, Vaughn St Cyr, Col­in Fur­longe, Kerneal Mo­hammed, Mark Lewis, Sean Lord and Charles Bu­dri ap­peared vir­tu­al­ly be­fore Mag­is­trate Bri­an Dabideen in the Port-of-Spain Four B Court.

Bap­tiste, Solomon, St Cyr, Fur­longe and Mo­hammed were rep­re­sent­ed by Is­rael Khan, SC, along with a team which in­clud­ed Ul­ric Sker­ritt, James Caruth, Talia Brooks and Ar­ris­sa Ma­haraj.

Lewis was rep­re­sent­ed by Mario Mer­ritt, while Sean Lord was rep­re­sent­ed by John Heath and a du­ty coun­sel ap­peared on be­half of Bu­dri.

The charges read to the eight al­leged that on June 27, 2020, to­geth­er with oth­ers at Sec­ond Cale­do­nia, Mor­vant, they mur­dered the three men.

The com­plaint re­quest­ed one week to pro­vide a sum­ma­ry of ev­i­dence to de­fence coun­sel, while Khan chal­lenged the pros­e­cu­tion to in­di­cate if “oth­er per­sons” in­volved in the in­ci­dent would be charged.

The pros­e­cu­tor in­formed the court that the in­struc­tions to charge the eight were on­ly re­ceived from the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions on Mon­day night and as such, he could not say if any­one else would be held in con­nec­tion with the in­ci­dent.

The mat­ter was ad­journed to Au­gust 16.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored